Saturday, November 8, 2008

WHY SAUVIGNON BLANC ISN'T JUST FOR SUMMER ANYMORE

Honestly, Sauvignon Blanc wasn;t ever mandated for a Summer only beverage, or I am positive the folks in Loire and Bordeaux would be extremely honked off. I've had this ongoing debate at the store on whether or not I should slow down on Sauvignon Blanc. Though I look at the sales figures, I would have to agree with the boss, but are those figures deceptive? If we had the same selection in the winter as we do in the summer, would the sales numbers be as reduced?

Hmm. Well, I do know that as Thanksgiving approaches, I would offer up Sauvignon Blanc as a reasonable alternative for those seeking white wines but not wanting a Riesling, Gewurtztraminer or some other "sweeter" wine. And those of us who still eat a lot of fish in the winter, a good ol' SB does the trick every time. Sushi, cajun, Thai, Indian, even my Mexican standby, Fish Tacos - all would make for good pairings.

So I thought I'd offer up a few Sauvignon Blancs for those still inclined to drink one of these tasty whites, even as the thermometer slides into the nether regions.

Murphy-Goode Sauvignon Blanc The Fume 2007 ($9.99). The Grade: Outstanding. The Mojo: One of the original Fume Blancs has opted out of the "white fog" moniker for telling us like it is. Here's a light, crisp Sauvignon Blanc reminiscent of a white Bordeaux, with lemon and herbaceous notes, and a hint of sweet grapefruit.


St. Supery Sauvignon Blanc Napa Valley 2007 ($16.98). The Grade: Amazing. The Mojo: Lemongrass, grapefruit and pineapple combine with hints of mineral and honeysuckle for an outstanding SB experience. Always one of my favorite SBs from California.
Huia Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough 2007 ($17.89). The Grade: Amazing. The Mojo: This SB has been one of my favorites from New Zealand. Light-to-medium bodied, this white shows off exuberant grapefruit, lemon and melon flavors, with a touch of guava, starfruit and mineral. It's pretty juicy, and with its lively acidity, lingers on the palate for quite some time.
Merlin-Cherrier Sancerre 2007 ($21.49). The Grade: Amazing. The Mojo: Ever since I met Roy Cloud from Vintage '59 Imports, everything I have tried from his book has been remarkable. Here's a textbook Sancerre, with lime and melon notes throughout, and a bracing acidity that gives this wine pleasingly tart fruit character all the way through the finish.




No comments: