Saturday, November 22, 2008

FOPPIANO PETITE SIRAH 2004

The Grade: AMAZING. The Mojo: I continue to internally thank Jo Diaz of Juicy Tales for prodding me along on my re-exploration of Petite Sirah, and here I am with one of the benchmarks in the wine business for PS – the Foppiano Petite Sirah 2004 ($17.98). I actually just met with Louis Foppiano last month, who was gracious and extremely patient for meeting myself (along with Jesse and Shannon) in our fast-paced, labyrinthine Covington store. This stunning red is deep, rich and seductive, on both the nose and palate, with chewy tannins, juicy blackberry and blueberry fruit, rich baking spices and touches of smoky vanillin oak. There is a lot going on in this wine. And for those of you who have never tasted a Petite Sirah, this is a fantastic initiation to the grape.

No comments: