Friday, October 3, 2008

SHANNON EASES INTO FALL

"The past couple of days have been bright, crystal clear, and the most amazing cool temperature. The cotton ball-like clouds have been sitting low in the sky, with an illuminated gold lining. And when I get home from work everyday, the first thing I notice is the sound of dry orange leaves flitting across the drive way. Maybe I’m letting my literary background show, but it’s just been gorgeous!

Besides converting my closet over to fall clothes and planning out would-be outfits in my head, last night I also ushered in the fall with a glass of wine. Red, that is.

I can’t think of a better way to embrace the fall weather than with a warm, hearty meal and a great red wine.

That meal for me happened to be beef brisket, the wine, Writer’s Block Malbec 2006. Both were gifts, in a sense, the brisket coming from my mom, who is an excellent chef, and the wine from the winemaker, Jed Steele, whom I have blogged about in the past.

My sister and I basically devoured the tray of tender brisket (no one make it better than mom!), and I poured a glass of the malbec for her and myself. Although she is only 17, she is interested in wine, and likes to try whatever I open. C’mon people, I don’t pour her a whole glass, but maybe a good ounce or so!

I guess Malbec from California has some type of stigma around it as not being as good as Argentinean, but I found this Californian Malbec to be quite good and could easily stand up to some of my favorite Argentineans. It was lush, with some cocoa, and a hint of vanilla. The description on the back of the bottle describes it the best, “Wine was born of angel tears…”

As the weather continues to get cooler and more and more leaves begin to fall, I’m looking forward to having moments and meals just like last nights’. Some good wine, good food, and of course, good people."

No comments: