Monday, June 29, 2009

STOP AND SMELL THE BOUQUET

Yesterday I had one of those days that seem rare in these modern times. I spent the day with my wife, one that was free of worry or argument, and spent just living in the moment. I can’t speak for everybody, but I for one live in a pretty busy world, constantly working myself to the bone, taking virtually no vacations or personal days, and pretty much running around like a chicken decapitated.

What does this have to do with wine? A lot actually.

When you take the time to consider that wine has become a “life condiment,” and I am in the business of selling such a thing, in order to be believable, you have to sort of, participate in it. And yesterday I did just that.

My wife and I spent the day shopping for flowers and plants for the back terrace, a bit of antiquing, and finished things off with a couple of grilled steaks, some grilled veggies, and a bottle of Aussie Shiraz. I won’t bore you all with the details, because on days like yesterday, they aren’t important. What is important is recognizing how lucky you have it, even though with all the crap we all contend with on a daily basis, it is sometimes hard to see.

It was really one of those days where, as I laid in bed, getting ready to fall asleep, I thought to myself, “maybe if people could spend more days like this and less worried about things beyond their control, maybe the world would be a better place.” And maybe if they had a little wine to wash it down, it might even be better.

No comments: