Tuesday, June 2, 2009

THE RETURN OF AN OLD FAVORITE


Yesterday, I received a group of wines that have been hard fought to get in this state over the past 7 years. I haven't been able to fully comprehend the reasons why, except to say that a certain retailer downstate has been a real pain in the ass about "exclusivities" - the concept of one retailer selling a specific brand for the entire state - and given our logistical situation, that prospect has always proven untenable.

So the store welcomed back to the shelves, one of my favorite wines, a rose from Montes called Cherub. 100% Syrah from Montes' Archangel estate in Marchigue (in the Colchagua Valley), this delicious blush has been one of my go-to wines for summer the past 4-5 years. It possesses aromas of red fruit and flowers, and on the palate, it delivers notes of spicy strawberry, red raspberry and orange peel. There is plenty of balance between fruit and acidity, which makes this wine very enjoyable with food, or just a chilled glass after a long day working. I baked some red snapper filets and made white beans and tomatoes with cilantro, which paired up well with the Cherub.

I know a lot of folks are a bit skittish when it comes to "pink" wines, but this would satisfy any red drinker, no problem. Give it a try.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's back?! YAY! This is, quite frankly, my all-time favorite rose, and it's even a hefty enough pink for Kevin (um, my Kevin) to enjoy.