Wednesday, October 7, 2009

WHAT COMES IN THE MAIL SOMETIMES


I get some goofy stuff in the mail here at the store. My boss hates getting solicitation stuff so he has sometimes concocted aliases like Todd Jones and Candy Kane (that one always makes me chuckle). Most of the stuff I get though is from wineries, almost as if I can order these things THROUGH THE MAIL. Wouldn't that be nice, eh?

I got a flyer from one of my favorite impossible-to-get wineries, Spottswoode, the other day. Honestly, in my lifetime, I have managed to finagle maybe 2 bottles, and that was just from the 2005 vintage (so recently). Spottswoode is one of those legendary Napa producers that makes unbelievably powerful reds, the kind of Cab and Cab drinker really WANTS to drink. Yet getting offered any kind of allocation for this wine is kind of like trying to land a Golden Ticket from Willy Wonka.

I realize that the mystique must be kept up for restaurants when it comes to wines of this caliber (and price point). Especially seeing as how we here at LDWS are something akin to the "Lowball Express" if you catch the way I've drifted.

Perhaps this holiday season, we may land a few more bottles of the always impressive Spottswoode Cab. Or maybe the Grinch will still my Christmas again? (Damned Lehmann Bros./AIG/etc.)

No comments: