Friday, October 23, 2009

SPRING VALLEY VINEYARDS URIAH 2006

I have been a huge fan of SVV for several years, and for us in KY, it was a big deal that the winery was purchased by Chateau Ste. Michelle because that meant, at long last, I could finally carry the wines of SVV in our store. Granted, there isn't a lot of the Spring Valley Vineyards Uriah 2006 to go around, but if I could sell some bottles, I was pleased nonetheless.

The Uriah is a beautiful blend of 54% Merlot, 33% Cabernet Franc, 7% Petit Verdot and 6% Malbec. It is every bit as Bordeaux as a St. Emilion or a Pomerol, both in composition and in style. Winemaker Serge Laville, a Bordeaux expat himself, lends all his expertise in crafting this gorgeous wine. There are layers of dark berry fruit in the nose, with touches of mineral and wood. On the palate, blackberries, black currant, anise and cedar dance atop French Oak essence and a strong backbone of tannin and acidity. What you have here is a beautiful wine.

Visiting Spring Valley Vineyards first on my first trip to Washington state, I experienced the origin of this marvelous wine, and learned a little bit from winemaker Serge as well. In tasting this wine, I hope you see a little of what I have seen, and experience a bit of what I have experienced. You too, will be a believer.

No comments: