Friday, October 2, 2009

A BOUT OF EXISTENTIALISM AND OTHER RANDOM SUNDRIES

Every so often I tend to lapse into self-evaulation mode, assessing and reassessing what it is I am doing these days, especially in this business. I tend to have an overdeveloped sense of melodrama and a remarkably excessive tendency toward unnecessary urgency. What the heck does all of that mean? I am the living breathing epitome of self-doubt.

I have spent a year-and-a-half chronicling the daily machinations of my work, here on the front lines of the third tier, the retail side of the wine industry. I am by no means a representation of all that goes on in this business. I have a quirkiness all my own, for good and bad. The frustrations come in all guises, whether a competitor beats me to a great deal, I am shut out on one allocation or another, the dumbasses in our state legislature pass some stilted new tax, or some reviewer proports his or her opinions to be the be-all-end-all opinion for the industry. Whatever the case, I feel compelled to hurl my two-cents out into the blogger-verse as if my localized, blathering opinion can counteract the status quo.

Just having one of those semi-spontaneous moments of introspection.

FYI, I've added a couple of new blogs to the National Roll: a new Italian wine blogger, Jeremy Parzen, and his blog site, Do Bianchi, and Wine & Spirits Magazine's Peter Liem's blog, Besotted Ramblings and Other Drivel. Both are very cool reads.

1 comment:

Do Bianchi said...

thanks for the add and the kind words! I'm looking forward to keeping up with Under the Grape Tree.