Friday, December 26, 2008

GRAPE TREE STAFF TOP TEN OF 2008: SHANNON

[Shannon is second-generation family wine staff, and fresh out of college. Thrown into the fire, she has risen from the blaze already looking like the future of these stores. Here's Shannon's Top 10 for the year.]

The highlights of my first 6 months in the wine business:

10)Honig Sauvignon Blanc 2007. I appreciate Michael Honig's family dedication to Cabernet Sauvignon and Sauvignon Blanc, and that dedication shows in this crisp and refreshing wine.

9)Dievole Pinocchio. A fruity and fun nero d'avola. It doesn't hurt that I drank this wine in the presence of Nick Lachey.

8)Venta la Ossa. I discover Spain! Well, Spanish wine that is.

7)Mischief and Mayhem Chablis 1er Cru 2006. This wine is a tribute to my discovery of really well-made Chardonnay, and my current obsession with anything Burgundian.

6)Merryvale Profile 2005. Wow. A big, powerful blend with finesse and style.

5) The Prisoner 2005. My first taste of this cult wine was out of a broken bottle off the delivery truck. Couldn't let it go to waste!

4) Chateau St. Martin de la Garrigue Blanc 2007. One of the most unique whites I've ever had, it definately stands out in my memory.

3) Domaine Carneros Brut Rose NV. Femininity in a glass. A fluted glass, that is.

2) Domaine Berthet-Rayne Chateauneuf-du-Pape 2006. A stunning representation of a chateauneuf, and the cutest wine making couple ever.

1) Cellar Can Blau Mas de Can Blau 2005. Even after palate fatigue of trying over 20 wines, this wine still managed to blow me away.

No comments: