Friday, November 13, 2009

MILBRANDT LEGACY SYRAH 2005

So while I was out on the Washington Wine Road Trip, and all of us roadtrippers were congregated within Precept Brands' Canyon Ranch, in the midst of a big Columbia Valley winery hoedown, I ran into the good folks at Milbrandt Vineyards. We had recently brought in a ridiculous amount of their Legacy Chardonnay, and upon seeing my name tag, they remarked, "so YOU'RE the one."

"Yes I am," I smiled, already a wee bit buzzed.

"I've got a deal on the Syrah too."

"Let's go," I eagerly replied, knowing the track record of Butch and Jerry and the folks at Milbrandt Vineyards. And thus, the arrival of the Milbrandt Legacy Syrah 2005 - the last vintage with the Legacy name on the package (a winemaker in California by the name of Jess Jackson wasn't happy with their use of the word "Legacy") - a remarkable Syrah with a little more than 3% Mourvedre splashed in to give this wine the complexity of a fine Chateauneuf du Pape. There is a richness and density that is amazing, with a thick, sanguinesque appearance in the glass, and lush aromas and flavors of black and red berries, leather, coffee, smoke, white pepper, violet and lavender. It is a superb red wine and added proof that Syrah is done well and done right in Washington State.

No comments: