Saturday, March 14, 2009

SEGHESIO HOME RANCH PETITE SIRAH 2006

My good friend Lou also showed me the out-of-this-world Seghesio Home Ranch Petite Sirah 2006, another glorious example of why I love Petite Sirah. The Grade: AMAZING. The Mojo: This delicious, seductive red has lots of body - the density in the glass is remarkable. And the color? Dark and mysterious. I revert back to poetry, and my favorite romantic poet Pablo Neruda, who really had the sensuality of a woman down, and I think his affinity for this wine would be known right away. Smoldering, luscious fruit - raw, exuberant grip - superb balance - artful presence on the palate - it truly had me at hello.

There are just breathtaking notes of red flowers, rich spices, hints of espresso, tobacco, roasted game, leather, earth, blackberries, black currants, plums, etc., etc. Flavors are more of what I mentioned, plus an infinite procession of layer upon layer upon layer of fruit character and depth. Just absolutely gorgeous stuff. I have special plans for this little number so stay tuned.

No comments: