Wednesday, August 27, 2008

ST. SUPERY VIRTU 2006

I’ve fallen a bit behind on the wine “critique” part of this blog – I must have 10-20 wines on my kitchen table awaiting a few kind words. First on deck is the St. Supery Virtu 2006 – one I have already tasted, but as of yet, have failed to form my tasting notes into some coherent diatribe, so I will attempt to do so now.

Ahem…

The St. Supery Virtu 2006 ($19.98 special) is a “white meritage” blend of 52% Sauvignon Blanc and 48% Semillon (percentages vary from vintage to vintage) that is akin to a top Graves from Bordeaux. Indeed the family behind St. Supery – Robert Skalli and winemaker Michael Beaulac - have their roots firmly planted in French winemaking. This 2006 version of the Virtu is crisp, racy and fruit-forward, without any form of syrupy madness. Lots of peaches and melon flavors abound, with well-balanced minerality throughout its fresh finish. While heading towards the upper end of the price spectrum as far as Sauvignon Blanc (blends) are concerned, it’s definitely worth the price.

I sautéed scallops in some butter, olive oil and lemon juice and served it with basil and lime jasmine rice. It married quite well if I do say so my damn self, but I think this wine would compliment most seafood and poultry dishes.

I’ve always been a big fan of the St. Supery reds, and now I have to say, I like the whites just as much.

No comments: