Saturday, August 30, 2008

SHANNON GOES FRENCH FOR LABOR DAY

"Not to be Unpatriotic…

Labor Day is usually thought of as the end of summer, or at least, the end of the summer holidays and beginning of the fall holidays. While planning out my weekend my mind wanders to the question, “What to drink?”

And I answer myself, “Rosés.” (Yes, I sometimes talk to myself. Don’t judge.)

Rose seems to me the perfect pairing for this holiday. It’s still hot, so I definitely want something I can chill. Also, I will probably be outside grilling, so I’ll need something with enough flavor profile to stand up to seared red meat.

But here’s my dilemma. Reaching for a couple bottles of rose, I don’t pick up anything domestic or anything showcasing my patriotism. Instead, I pick up 3 bottles of French rosé. Quelle horreur!

Not that I only like French rose, but something about their perfect dry/sweet ratio draws me in. So, while wearing red, white and blue and watching the fireworks in the sky, here’s what I’ll be drinking:

La Vieille Ferme Côtes du Ventoux Rosé 2007 ($6.98 special): An all-time favorite, this Frenchie is inexpensive and delicious. Mostly Cinsault, Grenache and Syrah, it has just a touch of sweetness. If you haven’t tried it yet, run, don’t walk, to the nearest rose shelf and grab a bottle.

Monbousquet Bordeaux Rosé 2005 ($13.98): Everything you want from a Bordeaux Rosé…dryness, structure and complexity. In my opinion the perfect picnic/barbecue wine.

Domaine Lafond Tavel 2007 ($15.89): Tavel is the premier place in France for Rosé, so this bottle is little bit pricier than the previous two, but worth it. Another blend of Grenache, Syrah and Cinsault, this wine is delicately balanced between dry characteristics and the sweet notes of strawberry. Yum!

A votre santé!"

No comments: