Friday, December 11, 2009

VILLA MONTELEONE SANTA LENA VALPOLICELLA 2007

I've become pretty fond of these wines from Domenico Selections, and one in particular I am liking right now is the Villa Monteleone Santa Lena 2007, a Valpolicella Classico from (of course) the Veneto. A traditional blend of Venetian grapes Corvina, Rondinella, Croatina and Molinara, this sultry red has aromas and flavors of black and white pepper, blackberry, dried herbs and hints of nutmeg and allspice. There are notes of mulberry and boysenberry alongside well-balanced minerality, leading into a really nice finish.

I plan on cracking open a bottle of this at home with a basil and pomegranate pork tenderloin and some roasted rosemary potatoes. (I shouldn't really write when I am hungry.) I have actually adopted the Santa Lena as our "house" Valpolicella because it is everything you should look for in a wine from this appellation: fruit-driven, well-balanced, rustic and imparting a warm, homespun feeling. Give this one a try.

No comments: