Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Cutting Edge Selections Product Show by Shannon

On Sunday Ray, Corey and I headed down Columbia Parkway to Cutting Edge Selection’s Product Show. I think we were all in need of a little ‘hair of the dog’, and what a better way to assuage our self-induced grief than to taste some really incredible wines?

Cutting Edge as a wholesaler really gets it right. When we walked in we were greeted by a table of a new sake line, which we carry, called Sake2me. These in my opinion tasted like wine coolers, but refreshing none the less. There was also a beautiful spread of cheeses, salames and olive oils, and a huge bowl of crawfish! I was too weary of the crawfish to try them, but I did see some brave souls dissecting them. As I was leaving I noticed someone preparing what looked like lamb on a hot grill outside…yum!

In total there were 18 tables of vendors set up around the warehouse, and it was really quite informal. After saying hello to our hosts, Mark and Steve Maher, and our rep, Tom Stephens, it was time to try some wines! The following is a list of highlights.

Ray’s Picks:

2009 Crios Torrontes. Even better than the 07!! Bursting with floral notes on the nose and the most clean, crisp torrontes that I have ever had.

2007 Chateau Musar Rouge. What a rock star at under $20 retail.

1924 Pedro Ximinez Alvear Solera. Tasted like maple syrup with walnuts. What an outstanding dessert wine!

Shannon’s Picks:

Disznoko 5 Puttunyos. This Hungarian Tokai was really a standout for me. Sweet like honey, but with perfect acidity to match. I think these kinds of wines are truly amazing, considering the back-breaking effort that goes into making them, and the unique wine that results.

Seven Hills Merlot Seven Hills Vineyard 2003. I have become a bigger and bigger fan of Washington Merlot, and this little gem again showed me why. Fluid and lush on the palate, offering red fruits and little tannin. This vintage is drinking perfectly now.

Four Graces Pinot Noir Black Family Estate 2004. What can I say about this Willamette wonder? Fruity, with a bit of austerity to it that kept me guessing. Complex, with a lingering finish. Worth the $80 price tag? For a special occasion, absolutely.

Corey’s Picks:

Surprisingly, two Chardonnays. Why? "Because they were clean, not that overdone Californian crap. "

lmarosa Chardonnay 2008
Stoller Chardonnay SV 2007
Penner Ash Pinot Noir Willamette Valley 2007

No comments: