Wednesday, August 19, 2009

2006 Caldwell Syrah by Shannon

I was so excited for some of my best friends from Miami to be in town this weekend. Coming in from Chicago and Columbus, we were able to catch up on each others lives and in general just enjoy each others company. I was also excited to hear that a few of my friends that live in Chicago have being going to wine tastings and have been trying different varietals. Knowing that I love wine they brought me a few of their favorites!

I’ve been on a lucky wine streak lately, and have gotten to try some really outstanding wines. I guess sometimes the gods just smile on you and throw great wine in your path. For example, this past weekend I tried the limited, hard to get 2006 Caldwell Syrah.

Some people may be familiar with the flagship wine from Caldwell, Rocket Science. The Rocket Science is well known for its funky-shaped bottle, but also as a powerful blend, typically with a majority of Syrah.

This 100% Syrah was huge. The nose was all spice-box tobacco and cinnamon. The first sip was relatively tannic, so we kept it open for a bit and revisited later in the evening. Still a bit closed up, we used an aerator for each pour. What a difference! It created a lovely texture, but still bold and powerful. The color was extraordinarily dark and inky. Although with the help of the Vinturi it was drinking great, I could see it using a few more years in bottle.

All-in-all, it turned out to be the perfect match for the dance party that sprung up around it! I guess that’s what you get when you combine good music, great wine, and even better friends!

No comments: