Tuesday, September 23, 2008

IN THE NAME OF TENACITY

I can be a real S.O.B. when I want to be. It comes from my stints across the river in Ohio, where pretty much everything is available in the wine world (although there are things like Shafer, Harlan, Pride, etc. that are severely allocated). However, as I have said before, here in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, I would venture to say that perhaps half of what is available across the river is available here.

Which drives me at times to not take “no” for an answer, much like my recent request for Mischief and Mayhem, the fairly new Burgundian project from former UK wine retailer Michael Ragg and Australian winemaking superhero Michael Twelftree (of Two Hands). Produced in very limited amounts, these wines are born out of Michael² love of all things Burgundy.
I managed to eek out 4 of the wines from this quasi-“cult” producer:


1. Chardonnay Bourgogne 2005 ($24.98)
2. Pinot Noir Bourgogne 2005 ($29.98)
3. Chardonnay Chablis Premier Cru 2005 ($38.98)
4. Chardonnay Meursault 2006 ($71.98)


All of these wines, with the Bourgogne red and white derived from the Aloxe-Corton, are regionally correct, wonderful expressions of the grape. I received only an “eye-dropper-full” of these wines, so they shouldn’t last long.

No comments: