Sunday, August 10, 2008

TREASURE HUNTING PART 2: MEMBERSHIP HAS ITS PRIVILEGES

Continuing on the little treasure trip I took with one of my distributor’s (I won’t divulge the name), I was given the opportunity to try a couple of delicious white Burgundies, ones that this nameless distributor imports itself:

The first of these tasty Chardonnays was the Vincent de Vignaud Pouilly-Fuisse 2005. I usually find myself rolling my eyes every time I am introduced to a Pouilly-Fuisse because they are grossly overpriced. However, I was very pleased to learn that this was one I could sell under $30! Shocking! The aromas and flavors were that of crisp, ripe apples and pears, with hints of vanilla and nutmeg, splashes of nectarine and lemon, with a solid frame of acidity and a long-lasting finish.

The second of these beauties was the Chateau Philippe Le Hardi Hauts-Cotes-de-Beaune 2005, which comes from vineyards overlooking Puligny and Meursault. A bit rounder and richer, this lush Chardonnay offers up more baking spice, more stone fruit, more mineral, and more of that “terroir” you get from the Cotes-de-Beaune region. Exquisite wine at a remarkable price.

Both of these whites hail from the impressive 2005 vintage, a landmark all over France. Next up, I’ll reveal two jewels from Spain and legendary importer Jorge Ordonez.

No comments: